Skater Interview with @motherabigail








1.) What was the first group skate like at your school? How did you feel about hosting a skate for people of color?


My first group session was nerve-racking but it went well. Ordering supplies was the hardest part and getting the items for my event. It was heartwarming also because people were happy to be in a safe space. We have a skate group on campus but it's geared towards Whyte cis men.

2.) We talked before the election. But now that we’ve moved into a political new space, can you share how you felt about being Black and queer before the election versus now...? Has anything changed?


Bruh I literally feel the same. I just want to hold the Biden administration accountable tbh we just gotta abolish the use and the systems in place. The night of the election I literally watched Nicki Minaj Documentary and took a social media break.

3.) What changes would you like to see in the skating community in regards to LGBTQIA+ BIPOC skaters?


I want more skate session in suburban and rural areas for black folks. I luv nyc but the update girls want to keke also. I want more representation in media. For example, Vans just dropped a girls skate commercial but there were no POC skaters or even if there was I missed it. Also, nonbinary people need representation also. Also, I am not surprised we have to do the works our selves as always and that's why I mainly work with Black-owned brands like propergnar for example

4.) When we first talked we also addressed issues with PWI and private colleges. Can you share your experience again on attending a PWI and if you ever received support from your college in any way?


My institution truly only cares about me when they want to gain a profit. I feel my transition into college was great and I had a support system but after freshman year I felt neglect. I honestly do everything myself and help from my friends and girlfriend. I go to therapy once a week and it's the best thing!! I learned early on this school only wants a check so I keep it pushing to protect my peace.

5.) Do you have any advice for first-time skaters?

Do not be afraid to FALL!! It is okay!! Also, I recommend skating around your neighborhood before going to a park. Also when you get to the park mind your business do what you came to do which is SKATE. DO not pay them any mind. Also, bring friends to the skatepark even if they don't skate but just as a support system.

*I did not edit this interview in any way (other than a few capitalizations) in order to retain the authenticity of the interview. 

Comments

Popular Posts